Parishioners welcome the re-opening of Cathedral for Masses

Catholic Church-goers here welcomed the re-opening of Sacred Heart Cathedral for Masses from June 20.

Jun 27, 2020

By Danny Wong
Catholic Church-goers here welcomed the re-opening of Sacred Heart Cathedral for Masses from June 20.

James Lau was looking forward to receiving Holy Communion physically after partaking in spiritual communion for the past three months.

“Spiritually you are in communion but physically you cannot taste and share the meal on the table,” he said.

Another churchgoer, Eta Ting was filled with joy at receiving the consecrated host.

“This Holy Eucharist is the great est treasure of our Catholic heritage. When asked about online Mass, I shared that I could attend streamed Masses celebrated by Pope Francis in Rome, Archbishop Simon Poh from Kuching or from all over the world in different languages as Catholic Masses are the same liturgically,” she shared.

Meanwhile, Mary Ting had mixed feelings. Though she was happy church could resume Masses, she was still worried about the congregation.

“We don’t know where others have been or who they had been in contact with. But life goes on and at  the least, we have to adhere to the SOPs and leave the rest to God,” she shared.

Michael Kiu, a councillor at the Sacred Heart Parish, welcomed the re-opening of the Cathedral for  Masses in English, Mandarin and Iban, though only 100 parishioners are allowed at any one time with prior reservation for a seat number. He said children under 12 years, the elderly and those at high risk were not encouraged to attend, while those attending must have their temperature and particulars taken at the entrance, wear face masks throughout the Mass and adhere to social distancing.

On June 20, the Cathedral’s first Mass at 6.15am in Mandarin was celebrated by Bishop Joseph Hii with 100 people in the congregation. --Borneo Post

Total Comments:0

Name
Email
Comments