Preparing for the next conclave!

After the consistory to create new cardinals in early October, Pope Francis will have chosen more than half of the men who will enter the Sistine Chapel to elect his successor.

Sep 06, 2019

By Cindy Wooden
After the consistory to create new cardinals in early October, Pope Francis will have chosen more than half of the men who will enter the Sistine Chapel to elect his successor.

And despite what critics of Francis filled social media with Sept. 1 about him setting up the college to elect a successor just like him, it should be remembered that then-Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio was created a cardinal by St. John Paul II. And he was elected pope in 2013 in a conclave where 42 percent of the cardinal electors were created cardinals by John Paul and the remaining 58 percent of the voters were named by Pope Benedict XVI.

Personal opinions about the needs of the Church at any given moment and about who would be the best person to lead obviously are at play in a conclave. But the cardinals also invoke the inspiration of the Holy Spirit and make a very solemn oath in casting their ballots: “I call as my witness Christ the Lord, who will be my judge, that my vote is given to the one who before God I think should be elected.”

Total Comments:0

Name
Email
Comments