Rededication of the Chapel of Christ the King

March 24 was a momentous occasion as close to 1000 worshipers gathered in the newly renovated Chapel of Christ the King for the rededication ceremony.

Apr 04, 2024

Parish leaders holding aloft the plaque.


KUALA LUMPUR: March 24 was a momentous occasion as close to 1000 worshipers gathered in the newly renovated Chapel of Christ the King for the rededication ceremony.

The event started with the symbolic handing over of the chapel key. Andrew Philip, the building committee chairperson, presented the key to Archbishop Julian Leow, who then passed it on to the Parish administrator Fr Peter Anthoney. Fr Peter unlocked the doors of the newly renovated chapel, signalling the beginning of a new chapter in its history.

As Archbishop Julian Leow led the rededication celebration alongside 11 priests, his words resonated deeply with the congregation, reaffirming the chapel's significance as a place of spiritual refuge and community.

Throughout the ceremony, there was a sense of joy and gratitude among the parishioners. After six years of waiting, their beloved chapel had been restored to its former glory, a testament to their unwavering faith and perseverance.

Founded in 1977, the Chapel of Christ the King served as a place of worship for 200 families in the Selayang and Batu Caves vicinity. Standing proudly for 41 years, this little chapel eventually had to close its doors to worshipers in February 2018 due to safety concerns regarding the structure of the building.

During the six years, Masses, and catechism were held at the Church of Christ the Light. Ministries too carried on their work as normal. Other surrounding churches, namely Church of St Joseph, Church of Risen Christ and Church of St Jude also welcomed our parishioners with open arms during this six-year journey.

Initially, when the decision was made to close the chapel, the plan was to tear down the old building and construct an entirely new structure. However, this plan just failed to materialise.

After numerous talks and discussions with the Archdiocese of Kuala Lumpur and the local council, renovation works for the chapel commenced in October 2023. Within a matter of months, the chapel began to transform, with its structure slowly taking shape.

Under the leadership of Fr Peter Anthoney, the Chapel of Christ the King was finally completed and ready for use in March 2024.

Yet, amidst the jubilation, the congregation also took a moment to remember those who were no longer with them. Their memory served as a poignant reminder to inspire them to live each day with purpose and gratitude, cherishing the gift of life and the blessings that surround them. The parishioners also expressed their gratitude to the late Fr Edward Soosay for his generous contribution that made the new chapel a reality for everyone.

As the rededication celebration drew to a close, there was a collective sense of renewal and hope among the congregation.

Total Comments:0

Name
Email
Comments